Skip to main content

How YouTube Channel become an Unicorn Startup ?

A journey From YouTube channel to the unicorn. 






Physicswalla an Edtech platform recently announced a funding round lead by Westbridge and GSV Ventures raised about $100 million at the valuation of $1.1 billion.







Physicswalla (PW) started in 2016 by Alakh Pandey as YouTube channel. At that time he  teaches high-school physics now he raised $100 million. 

And at the time when other edtech startup are firing their employees, many startups are shutting down and even VCs are not funding any startup from past two months then how Physicswalla managed to raise funding and becoming a unicorn ? 

In first 4 years Physicswalla gained almost 2.4 million subscribers because of his unique teaching style. 




Now, Alakh became favourite of all and student's expectations raises after Physicswalla's students getting a rank in JEE, and then he thought to level up the things. 





So, Alakh & his co-founder Prateek Maheswari build & launche Physicswalla App in 2020. And as we know this was the time when global pendamic was started and this helped Physicswalla to grow more. 

Through his app Physicswalla able to provide JEE and NEET courses, conduct courses and doubts solving through the paid subscriptions model. 

When Physicswalla launched his app they get unexpected results their getting 50,000+ downloads on the very 1st day and currently standing at 5M+ downloads. The best thing is that his app alone accounts 95% of it's revenue.

I know you all are thinking that how Physicswalla able to rise up from his competitors ? 

1. Affordability 




At the where all of hus competitors are introduced a fancy courses which is so expensive.

Byjus & Unacadmy's courses cost even ten of thousands or even lakh, where as Physicswalla introduced courses at just Rs 1000.

And this smart move of Physicswalla bring huge numbers of user to their platform which made accessible to the large variety of students who couldn't afford expensive courses of other online learning platforms.

Alakh Pandey always emphasizes that "Physicswalla is not the company, but an emotion." 

So, if any business idea, which increases in revenue at the cost of accessibility, was scrapped.

Before this funding round Physicswalla never went for investment. It was profitable since the day he started teaching. 




And at today's date Physicswalla's YouTube channel has annual revenue of $65 million with around 7 million subscribers on his channel. 

How big is this new edtech is going to become ? 
Share your thoughts in comments. 




Popular posts from this blog

2025—The Year I Chose Boredom with Books, Philosophy, and Art.

When I was reading the dialogue Parmenides , Plato explores a profound puzzle about the nature of time. The argument can be understood this way: Imagine time divided into three parts: the Past, the Present, and the Future. The Past is what used to exist but no longer does. It is non-existent. The Future is what is yet to exist but does not exist now. It is also non-existent. The Present is the only part that is “real,” yet it seems to be just a boundary dividing the non-existent past from the non-existent future. This raises a question: If the present is only a boundary between two things that do not exist, how thick is it? It is interesting to think that at some point in the past, time began and continues until it reaches its end in the future. The point of this paradox is that the present is the only truly existing thing we experience. We spend more time thinking about the future than living the moment—outcome-centric rather than process-centric. Excessive pessimism toward the futur...

The Death of Original Thought: Are We Being Tricked into Thinking the Same ?

Back in 2020, when I had just begun reading and continued speed-reading for six months, after finishing, I soon realized that the content of basic non-fiction books was almost the same. They all tried to motivate the reader to read more books. Every author seemed to write the same thing but in a different way, and that didn’t feel right from the perspective of having new ideas. Because at the end of the day, if you are thinking at the same intensity as all other readers, what difference does it make to the world? To have original thoughts means to be curious. In today's world, this idea is more relevant than ever, especially in the age of the internet, where your brain is overloaded with information, text, and different forms of content—something I believe is enough to rot your brain. Isn't it sound weird ? Because most of our lives now revolve around the internet. We can't go back to the Stone Age either. The internet is a graveyard of information that presents the same kn...

My Not So Profound Thoughts On—AI, Crypto, Apple Vision Pro & Neuralink.

Aaha! Well, if you're reading this article, it means you're either interested in AI, Crypto, or want to get ahead of the other 99% of students. This article could be a paradise of insight for you. It's going to be a long one, so grab a cup of coffee and enjoy! Let me start with a story about how I lost a bunch of opportunities in the past four years (2020-2023). Firstly, imagine if I had invested just Rs 1000 in SHIBA INU in 2020, I would've been worth INR 850,000,000 (85Cr). It generated almost an 85 million % return between 2020-2021. I know people are going to say, "Oh, if you knew, why didn't you invest already, Alhaaz?" The reason is because I don't know !!  I could give a thousand excuses, but in reality, I just don't know the answer! But I guess it'll be the reason for my kids to remember me by cursing. And if this sounds crazy, then wait, I have more! My luck with Bitcoin. Let’s talk about Bitcoin. Recently, in March, BTC touched ATH I...